Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Things I keep in my pantry at all times

I have been asked many times what foods I eat and what I keep in my pantry at all times. Well I finally decided that I would start writing down all the items that I refuse to run out of because they are daily staples in my diet and life. I learned my lesson when I ran out of shredded coconut while in the middle of baking cookies, which called for shredded coconut, and I forgot I had used it all. I just stared at the empty container willing more to magically appear at that moment. Tragic I know. Then I did the only logical thing to do, I went and bought a few pounds at Whole Foods. What can I say, I wanted the cookies.

First I would like to say that I like to only keep foods in my pantry and refrigerator that I can eat. I don't want to have to think about it or have a weak moment when I look in my cabinet and see chewy chips ahoy cookies because, well, I will eat them.... ahhh cookies (I found a paleo version that I like even better than the store bought stuff that I will share soon). I bet you guys didn't know I was such a dessert freak. Well I am. That's why it is a good thing I eat this way now because I would have been a hundred pounds heavier if I didn't.

I plan on keeping this list up to date with things that I may have forgotten because believe it or not, I am human :) So keep checking back. Without further ado, here is a list of my must haves:

Pantry
  • Almond flour - Whole Foods baking section
  • Coconut flour - Whole Foods baking section (I usually make my own)
  • Baking powder - Baking section
  • Baking soda - Baking section
  • Arrowroot powder - Whole Foods or Fresh Market in the spice section
  • Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips - Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Publix in the baking section
  • Ghee - Whole Foods or Fresh Market in the baking section
  • Canned wild tuna and salmon - Most grocery stores
  • Canned pumpkin - Most grocery stores in the baking section with pie filling
  • Unsweetened cocoa - most grocery stores in the baking section
  • Coconut Aminos - Whole Foods in the ethnic section
  • Coconut butter - Homemade is best or Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or online
  • Dried fruits - Trader Joe's has a good selection
  • Shredded coconut - Whole Foods has it in bulk
  • Canned coconut milk - Trader Joe's is my favorite place for this
  • Coconut oil - I buy in bulk online from Swansons but Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Fresh Market also have it
  • Curry Paste - Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Publix in the ethnic section
  • Local honey - Most grocery stores and flea markets
  • Mustard - Any kind that is free of sugars
  • Fish Sauce - Whole Foods or Fresh Market in the ethnic section, Red Boat brand
  • Nuts/seeds (Almonds, cashews, hazelnuts)
  • Nut butters - Avoid peanut butter, sunbutter is allergy friendly, I personally like making my own roasted cashew butter
  • Olive oil - Buy high quality
  • Olives - Good for snacking, Trader Joe's has good ones
  • Stevia in the Raw - Most grocery stores carry this in the baking section
  • Liquid Stevia - Whole Foods has many flavors in the baking section
  • Salsa - Make sure it has no added sugars
  • Tomato (sauce, paste, diced) - No added sugars
  • Palm shortening - Whole Foods in the baking section (the tub says vegetable shortening but the ingredients are expeller pressed palm)
  • Vinegar (coconut, balsamic, apple cider)
  • Tons of spices

Refrigerator/Freezer
Protein
  • Chicken breasts/tenderloins
  • Grass fed ground beef
  • Grass fed steak
  • Ground pork
  • Bacon
  • Sausage
  • Pastured organic eggs
  • Roast
  • Whole roasting chicken
  • Wild caught salmon
  • Wild caught tuna steaks

Vegetables
  • Acorn squash
  • Arugula
  • Asparagus
  • Avocados
  • Bell Peppers
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Buttercup Squash
  • Butternut Squash
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
  • Cucumbers
  • Frozen mixed veggies
  • Garlic
  • Kale
  • Lettuce
  • Mayonnaise, homemade
  • Mushrooms
  • Onions
  • Shallots
  • Pumpkin
  • Spaghetti Squash
  • Spinach
  • Sweet Potato
  • Tomatoes
  • Zucchini

Fruit
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Dates
  • Grapefruit
  • Lemons/limes
  • Strawberries

No comments:

Post a Comment