Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Simple and Quick Breakfast Ideas

I would like to start this out saying that I had to do something the other day that was the hardest thing I've had to do in a looooooong time. Most of you don't know this but I have a fear of touching fish, especially ones that I have to cook and still have a head, tail, and scales. This one was still a little frozen so I was running it under the water to thaw it the rest of the way and IT MOVED!!!! At that moment I swear it was alive and it was going to eat me. I dropped it and screamed like a little girl. Then I took this picture:


I had no one to take over and I didn't want the fish to stay in my sink forever. I paced back and forth trying to figure out how to get over this fear, then I put some gloves on and threw it in a pan and fried it. It was delicious, but I still have no desire to do it again. At least not with a head and eyes staring at me. *shudder*
 

So now on to the real reason for this post!

I have been asked by several people lately to give some ideas for a quick breakfast. I'm a simple kind of girl so I thought of a few things you could do to make a speedy breakfast and even take it on the go if you need to. Skipping breakfast is BAD!

These aren't so much recipes as ideas that you can run with.

1. Bacon and eggs: pan fry the bacon, when done set the bacon on a paper towel and cook the eggs in the bacon grease. Served with some sauerkraut would be a nice well rounded breakfast.

2. Hard-Boiled egg salad: Hard boil eggs the night before, peel and refrigerate. In the morning, slice and serve on a bed of baby spinach with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

3. Leftovers: Eat your leftovers from the night before!

4. Eggs and spinach: scramble a couple eggs with spinach and season with salt and pepper. If you have time, cook some bacon first then cook your eggs in the bacon fat. Serve with avocado, yum!

5. Fritatta: Brown some meat in an oven save pan, when cooked add in some veggies and season with whatever spice you want. Whip up some eggs and pour them in with the meat and veggies. Cover and cook about 3 minutes then transfer to the oven on 350 and cook until the eggs are firm, 5-10 minutes. Slice like a pizza and serve.

6. Pumpkin Porridge: You can throw this together and cook within about 5 minutes.

7. Omelette: Brown some meat in a pan, toss in some veggies and cook. Whisk some eggs together and pour into a different pan. Cook a few minutes on one side then flip. Add in the meat and veggies and you have yourself an omelette.

8. Steak and eggs: This is probably my favorite, I could eat it any time of day. I like to eat this with sauteed spinach.

9. Microwave eggs: Really short on time? Whisk some eggs together and nuke em!

10. Turkey and avocado wrap: Take a few slices of avocado and wrap with turkey slices.

11. Protein Shake

If you have any great breakfast ideas please leave them in the comments!

1 comment: