Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits

I was sitting down drinking a cup coffee a couple days go when it dawned on me; I should I should make my sweet potato biscuits into cinnamon raisin biscuits! (I wish I had this kind of epiphany every time I drank coffee, that would be many many times a day!!!)

You know those little cinnamon raisin biscuits from Hardee's that are so delicious and make your pants feel immediately tighter after eating them? I knew them very well in my previous life :-/ Well that's what they remind me of!

I decided not to use sweet potatoes for this, I don't know why really, I just did. I have a jar of applesauce in my refrigerator that was begging to be used, so I obliged. They are moist and delicious and if I didn't have the most self control of any person I know I would have eaten the whole batch!!

On a different note, I have decided to limit my coffee intake to one cup (or large mug) a day. Getting to sleep at night has been a problem lately so I'm going to try this out. Plus, it seems like everyone's doing it. Now my only problem is staying awake all day! For those that know me, I know you are in shock! The pumpkin spice tea from Trader Joe's has been my best friend! That is what I was enjoying while devouring these :D




Ingredients:

For the biscuits:
  • 3 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons sugar substitute ( I used Stevia in the Raw, it needs to be a cup for cup kind)
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (I like the kind from Trader Joe's)
  • 1 tablespoon palm shortening (If you haven't gotten this yet, you should! You can also use butter)
  • 4 tablespoons raisins
For the glaze:
  • 4 tablespoons Stevia in the Raw
  • 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut milk

Directions:

For the biscuits:

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk the eggs together in a medium mixing bowl.
  3. Add the coconut flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and Stevia and continue whisking until a dough  forms.
  4. Then add the applesauce and continue mixing until well incorporated. 
  5. Cut the palm shortening in, mix thoroughly, then stir the raisins in.
  6. Scoop spoonfuls of the dough onto the baking sheet making 9 biscuit shapes.
  7. Put in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
For the glaze:
  1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth.
  2. When the biscuits are done and cooled a little, drizzle on each biscuit and serve!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I don't have the shortening or arrowroot, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You can use butter instead of shortening. They taste great without the glaze as well if you don't have arrowroot.

    ReplyDelete