Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crock Pot Chocolate Chili

With this being my first ever post and the beginning of the fall season, I thought I would start out with a recipe that has recently become my go to meal. I throw it in the crock pot in the morning and it is ready when I go home for lunch. I came across the recipe on www.theclothesmakethegirl.com, it is her favorite chili recipe and it is mine as well! I have made a few changes along the way to suit my taste (I like it spicy!).

(Shown here with mashed buttercup squash)

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted, chopped tomatoes
  • 1 can Hot Rotel (optional, but encouraged if you like spicy chili)
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth

Directions:

  1. In a large pan, melt the coconut oil. When melted, add the onions, stir often and cook until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Crumble the meat into the pan, stir in with the onions and cook until no longer pink.
  2. Add the meat mixture to your crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients. When adding the oregano, dump it in your hand and rub together to let the fragrance blossom.
  3. Stir the chili until well combined. Set to low and cook 3-5 hours.

*Top with a Tablespoon of coconut milk and cauliflower rice for one of the most delicious meals you have ever tasted.

*If you are an athlete looking for extra carbs, peel and chop 2 sweet potatoes and add to the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely trying this and I love how descriptive you are (ie. releasing the fragrance of the oregano)

    ReplyDelete