Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Roasted Cashew Butter

Who out there grew up eating peanut butter and eats it with a spoon right out of the jar? Me me me!!! I love the stuff! When I was told it was forbidden in the Paleo lifestyle I think my heart stopped beating. What would I eat with my bananas?? While I have learned to like almond butter, it was never a favorite of mine. It was always just okay. I feel the same way about sunbutter, it's okay but it just doesn't taste right to me. I always loved cashews but I thought they were forbidden until I started researching a little further. According to whole9.com, they are a good eating fat.

Cashews are high in phytic acid so it is best if you soak and rinse them first. They are also higher in Omega 3's and lower in Omega 6's than other nuts such as almonds, pecans, and walnuts. 

Cashew butter just might be better than peanut butter in the taste department, well at least its equal, and that says something!

Warning: This is not a low calorie food!!! It is very high in calories and deliciousness (bad combination). But as an occasional treat and to replace other nut butters this is the one you should reach for.


 

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb raw cashews (I use Trader Joe’s)
  • Water (enough to cover cashews in a bowl)
  • 3 Tablespoons light olive oil or coconut oil (Make sure it is the light tasting olive oil or else it will change the flavor)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

  1. Pour your cashews into a medium sized bowl and fill with water. Soak them for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours, you can also soak overnight. Strain all the water out and rinse well.
  2. When you are ready to roast, heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Pour the cashews onto a cookie sheet in a single layer and place in the oven
  4. Cook for 10-20 minutes, depending on your oven, stirring occasionally until they are golden brown. Be careful not to burn them.
  5. Take them out and let them rest until they are cool to the touch. Try not to eat them all before you make them into butter :) (Yes, I've done that)
  6. Place the cashews in a food processor or blender, put the lid on, and turn it on.
  7. Process until the nuts are chopped finely, about 30 seconds. They won’t turn into butter without the help of oil.
  8. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the light olive oil and salt in with the cashews and continue processing until smooth. If it doesn’t reach your desired smoothness add the other tablespoon of olive oil and continue processing until it is how you like it.
  9. Place in a container and store in your refrigerator until you are ready to eat this little taste of heaven!
* I also like to make chocolate cashew butter by adding 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa and stevia to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment