Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Although I grew up in the South, sweet potatoes were never one of my favorites. I wanted white potatoes!!! Sweet potatoes were nasty unless they had brown sugar and marshmallows on them or made into biscuits! Although I'm pretty sure that negates the health factor.

Now that I'm an adult (most of the time anyways) I could eat sweet potatoes with every meal! They are soooo good! Sometimes with a sprinkle of cinnamon, sometimes without. I could probably incorporate them into just about any type of meal, sweet or savory.

I've really been missing biscuits lately and then I thought "Hey, I could make sweet potato biscuits!" So I did! And they are so delicious that I made them for dinner one night and breakfast the next morning... No, I don't feel guilty, because they are grain and dairy free!!!



Makes 9 biscuits

Ingredients:

  • 1 small baked sweet potato (about 3/4 cup)
  • 3 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon palm shortening (you can also use butter if you are okay with dairy)

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Whisk the eggs together then add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt until a thick dough forms.
  3. Mash the sweet potato then mix it in with the egg mixture.
  4. Cut the palm shortening in with the dough and mix well. It will be a tad chunky.
  5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place small dollops on it. This should make 9 biscuits. I like to make mine round and even because I'm a little OCD.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes until they are golden brown. 

Nutrition Info:

Per biscuit if 9 are made.
Cal-  65
Fat-  3.64g
Carbs-  3.24g (net)
Protein-  2.99g

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I found your blog on chowstalker, and wow, you do have a bunch of really delicious looking recipes I'll have to try out.
    Any chance you'd be willing to post some of them on FastPaleo.com? We have almost 30,000 followers on our Facebook page, and a database of over 2,000 recipes on our website.
    Every time you upload a recipe, we post it on Facebook and link back to your blog, thus creating lots of traffic for you. :)
    We also do frequent paleo blogger shoutouts.
    I'd really love to see some of your stuff pop up over there.
    http://fastpaleo.com/upload-a-recipe/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestion! I love FastPaleo.com!

      Delete
  2. I made these and they are amazing! I'm trying to curb sugar cravings and these help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am going to try these again and use almond meal flour instead of coconut flour. They just didn't work for me with the coconut flour.

    ReplyDelete