Thursday, September 27, 2012

Breakfast Sausage

I was never a sausage eater in my younger days because all I knew was the kind that came in a roll that you cut into slices and when you bit into it there was always a chance of chomping on some gristle. Bleh! Then I came across a recipe on www.civilizedcavemancooking.com for a breakfast sausage that changed my mind. His recipe uses a pound of bison meat as well but since I didn't have that on hand I improvised. This makes about 20 patties depending on how big you make them. I made a bunch of small ones so it would last a while. I just made them into patties and stuck them in the freezer. Whenever I want some I pull them out and fry them up from frozen.



Ingredients:

  • 1 Lb Grass-fed Ground Beef
  • 1 Lb Ground Pork
  • 1 ½ Tsp Thyme
  • 1 ½ Tsp Sage
  • ¾ Tsp Rosemary
  • 1 ½ Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tsp Black Pepper
  • ¾ Tsp Nutmeg
  • ½ Tsp Cayenne

Directions:

  1. Combine all of your ingredients thoroughly with your hands in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Form into 1-2 inch rounds and flatten into patties until all the sausage is used. If putting in tupperware, separate the layers of sausage with parchment paper to prevent from sticking together.
  3. You can refrigerate the patties for up to 1 week and/or freeze for up to 3 months.
  4. If you are going to eat them immediately, heat a skillet over medium-low heat
  5. Saute until brown and cooked through, ~10-15 minutes
  6. Serve with any other food you can imagine, breakfast, lunch or dinner
  7. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment