Monday, January 14, 2013

Hiatus

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and was able to enjoy all that goes along with it, including all the seasonal treats (in moderation of course).

I have taken a short break from blogging because I shamefully took a break from Paleo while trying to gain weight (bulk) for a figure competition. I figured that the standard American diet would help... It didn't. What it did do for me was make my skin break out, made me feel sluggish, and I got sick twice. I had to stay out of work two days. So needless to say the S.A.D. hurt my bottom line as well as made me feel crappy. Now I'm sticking to rice, steel cut oats, and potatoes for my starches. I already feel a little better and my skin is clearing up. I'm glad I went through the experience because now I know for sure that Paleo is the only way for me! I wasn't able to hit my goal weight but I'm still going to go ahead as planned and hope that the muscle that I gained was enough :)

While eating the S.A.D., I also lost my cooking bug for a while and had no desire to cook or be creative. Probably because of the sluggishness and being tired all the time. I'm not back 100% because of my work schedule but I promise that I will do better. Some of my recipes won't be original for a while but I will make sure to give proper acknowledgement to the recipe creators.

I was recently asked for a recipe that would be easy to make and eat on for the week. Something healthy, tasty, and reheats well. The first thing that came to mind was egg cupcakes. This is something that you can create to your own taste because you can put anything you want in them... Almost...

This recipe is from Paleo in a Pinch, I changed some of the measurements but this is not an original recipe of mine. I have made this recipe before and can attest that it is delicious!


Savory Sausage Egg Cakes

Image
(Photo from Paleo in a Pinch)


Ingredients:

  • 12 Eggs
  • 1lb. Sausage
  • 1 each Green & Red Pepper
  • 1 cup Mushrooms
  • 1 Onion
  • 3-4 Green Onions
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Coconut Milk (Optional)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a fry pan, brown your Sausage on Med/High heat. Break up into small crumbles.
  2. While Sausage is browning, chop all of your veggies.
  3. Once Sausage is cooked, spoon out and add to the veggie bowl.
  4. Add eggs and whisk together. If you are using Coconut Milk, add now
  5. Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Fill nearly to the top of the liner. Place in preheated oven and bake for 25-30 min.
  6. Remove Egg Cakes from oven and let cool for 10-15min, before transferring to a cooling rack.
  7. Serve or let cool to room temp and store in the fridge or freezer. Egg Cakes can be served warmed or chilled.

  8.  

No comments:

Post a Comment