Thursday, January 24, 2013

Eggs Italiano

Growing up I always felt sick after eating eggs but I never made the connection that I was allergic to them until a couple of years ago. I would feel very spacey and not myself for several hours to the point I just didn't want to eat them. I discovered that egg whites didn't make me feel that way which to me was weird. After I started eating Paleo, I discovered that chickens are often fed meal that contains soy. After a little experimentation, I found that eating local soy free eggs don't make me feel bad so eggs are now a large part of my diet.

With that being said, I have been eating eggs a lot lately and frankly I'm getting a little sick of them. I only like them when they are runny and for some reason I have been over cooking them. Not wanting them to go to waste I still gobble them down but I'm not terribly happy about it.

Eggs with spinach have been my easy healthy go-to breakfast for the past week but today I decided I wanted something different. Add some spaghetti sauce and badda bing, you have Italian eggs. I know it sounds way too simple but it's nice to change it up sometimes.



Ingredients:

  • Eggs (as many as you need to eat, I ate 3)
  • 2/3 cup Spaghetti sauce (I used Trader Joe's because it is soy free)
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil for frying

Directions:

  1. Heat frying pan over medium and melt coconut oil.
  2. Pour spaghetti sauce in the pan along with the spices and mix together until slightly bubbly.
  3. Crack your eggs into the sauce keeping them intact.
  4. Cover and cook until the whites are done and the yolks are still a little runny.

2 comments:

  1. Almost exactly like eggs diablo I make sometimes. Much better than 'bum nuts' with spinach!  

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, eggs and spinach certainly gets old after a while! It's nice to spice it up now and then :)

      Delete