Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sweet Potato Souffle

First off, I want to apologize for the hiatus. I have been super slammed lately and being creative was put on a back burner. I basically only cooked to stay alive and it was the same old thing over and over because... well that's easy!

I don't want anyone to think I forgot about them so I thought of my favorite Thanksgiving side dish. The best part is testing it out and eating it before Thanksgiving!! Another awesome thing is that since I'm still trying to gain weight, it doesn't matter that this is normally what you would consider a huge treat :)

So, what is a Thanksgiving feast without sweet potato souffle? A crappy one in my opinion. This is the best part, aside from the pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce. I could make my meal off of that! My suggestion is to not do that though.

This souffle is so sweet and delicious. I personally prefer mine with the crust of candied pecans on top. I know some people put marshmallows on theirs but to me that's just wrong! Luckily for me, this is one of the easiest recipes to "paleofy" because you just have to exchange a few ingredients.



Ingredients

Souffle:
  • 4 cups cubed sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 cup palm sugar (found at Whole Foods)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons Ghee (Whole Foods)
  • 1/2 cup coconut cream (Trader Joe's canned or any cream from full fat coconut milk)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Topping:
  • 3/4 cup palm sugar
  • 4 heaping tablespoons coconut flour (Whole Foods)
  • 4 tablespoons Ghee
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Peel and cube your sweet potatoes and place in a steamer basket over boiling water and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and mash them up! 
  3. Then add in the palm sugar, eggs, salt, ghee, coconut cream and vanilla extract. Mix them all together until smooth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish rubbed with oil. 
  4. To make the topping, mix together the palm sugar and coconut flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is slightly coarse but almost pasty. Stir in the chopped pecans. Sprinkle the topping over the sweet potato mixture as best you can, it's a little sticky.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown and it smells like Thanksgiving throughout your house!
I adapted this recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/yummy-sweet-potato-casserole/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sam, I'm going to make this for Thanksgiving.
    1 - How many does this serve? Is 1 enough for a party of 12 with lots of other sides?
    2 - If I use regular butter instead of ghee, do I use the same amount?
    3 - Do you think it would ok to do steps two and three in advance? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes about 6 large servings so I would double the recipe for 12 people.

      You can use butter in the same amounts as the ghee.

      You could definitely prepare this in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you want to bake it :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sam! I will let you know how it turns out.

      Delete